Update Bulletin

 

The Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable is gearing up for exciting activities in the next few months:

Case Study / Business Plan to be drafted

The newly formed Capacity and Resilience Building Sub-Committee met from 10:00am to 12:00pm on Wednesday, December 14. The Sub-Committee had the opportunity to participate in a conference call hosted by the Fraser Basin Council (FBC) with Mayor Peter Milobar from the City of Kamloops. The focus of the conference call was to hear firsthand of Mayor Milobar’s experience in securing funding for the Shuswap Watershed Council through the use of the Alternative Approval Process (AAP). The FBC invited the Roundtable to participate as part of our mutual goal for peer-to-peer knowledge sharing. Following the conference call with Mayor Milobar and the FBC, the Sub-Committee discussed topics specific to building the capacity and resilience of the Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable. The focus of this discussion was outlining the format and scope of a Case Study specific to the Roundtable that would explore potential funding mechanisms in Coquitlam. The Case Study will provide funding options, and a business plan for long-ranging planning and operations of the Roundtable. The Roundtable Coordinator will draft the Case Study and will receive support and editing/reviewing input from other watershed governance groups, technical experts in the field, the Roundtable Core Committee, and participants at the Community Roundtable.

Upcoming presentations

On Monday, January 16, Melissa Dick will be joining Marvin Rosenau’s fisheries class at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) to discuss her past work in fisheries and her current work as Coordinator for the Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable. Melissa will discuss the findings from her Master’s research and will lead hands-on activities showing how to track a radio tag using a receiver and antenna, and the techniques used to gastrically and externally tag adult fish with electronic transmitters. The talk will also feature ongoing salmon restoration efforts in the Coquitlam River and the work of the Roundtable.

A meeting at the REFBC offices in downtown Vancouver with Leanne Sexsmith (Grants Manager) has been scheduled for the morning of Tuesday, January 24. Melissa Dick, Trish Hall, and Blaire Chisholm will provide a PowerPoint presentation summarizing the Roundtable's activities and highlights from the past 6 months. A timeline of the anticipated events and deliverables, based on the commitments made in Year 1 of the funding application, will also be reviewed.

Spring 2017 Roundtable public meeting

Planning for the Spring 2017 Roundtable meeting is underway. Potential dates to hold the Roundtable meeting have been selected at the end of May / beginning of June, and the agenda is being drafted. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks!

,

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

STAY IN TOUCH

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Our Roundtable Watershed Coordinator can be reached at coordinator@coquitlamriverwatershed.ca

FOLLOW US facebooktwitterInstagramrss